1 pigeon, some ginger, some spring onion, some shallot, 1/2 cup of chicken soy marinade, 1.5 cup of water, 1 whole star-anise, some Shaoxing wine, 2T oil, some sesame oil, some coriander.
1. Discard the innards of pigeon; Rinse; Blanch in boiling water for 20 seconds so as to drain the blood; Remove and immediately rinse in running water; Drain; Rub a little Shaoxing wine on the inside and outside of the pigeon.
2. Rinse and slice ginger; Rinse and cut spring onion into sections; Rinse and slice shallot; Rinse and cut coriander into sections.
3. Heat a wok with 2T oil over a high heat; Stir-fry ginger, spring onion and shallot over a low heat till fragrant; Add 1/2 cup of chicken soy marinade and 1.5 cup of water; Bring to the boil over a high heat; Add seasonings and star-anise; Bring to the boil over a high heat again; Add pigeon; Cook over a medium heat till done (rotate the pigeon regularly while cooking); Remove; Brush a little sesame oil over the pigeon; Cool at room temperature; Cut into pieces and arrange on a serving plate; Garnish with coriander. Ready to serve.
1. Frozen pigeon should be transferred from the freezer to the lower shelf of a refrigerator a night before the day you intend to cook them to ensure they thaw slowly.
2. To tenderize frozen or chilled pigeon and remove the unpleasant "frozen food" taste, it is better to rinse in running water for 20 minutes before cooking.