1 spotted sea crab, 1/2 piece of tofu, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 stalk of celery, 4 cups of oil.
(1) 4T potato starch, 1T Shaoxing wine.
(2) 1T Shaoxing wine, some ground white pepper, 4 cups of stock.
(3) 1/2t salt.
1. Put each crab on the counter with its back facing down; Insert a knife through its abdomen and hold it till the crab has stopped moving; Remove the reeds/strings; Separate the carapace from its body by lifting it; Discard the gills, the guts and the gizzard in the lower center part of carapace; Scrub the crab with a small brush to discard the dirt; Rinse and drain; Cut each half into 3 pieces; Cut pincer into halves; Keep the carapace in whole; Wipe dry; Marinate in seasoning (1) briefly.
2. Soak tofu in salty water for 10 minutes; Remove; Cut into long pieces.
3. Peel, rinse and mince garlic; Rinse and cut celery into sections.
4. Add 4 cups of oil to a wok; Bring to the boil over a high heat; Jiggle the crab in the oil over a high heat for 1 minute; Remove and drain.
5. Set the oil aside, leaving 2T oil; Heat the wok over a high heat; Pan-fry tofu over a low heat till both sides have been slightly brown and remove; Stir-fry minced garlic over a low heat till fragrant and crispy; Remove.
6. Arrange the tofu to a pot; Add seasoning (2); Bring to the boil over a high heat; Turn to a low heat; Arrange the crab on the top of tofu; Cook over a low heat briefly; Sprinkle with garlic; Cook over a low heat till done; Add seasoning (3); Turn off the heat; Garnish with celery. Ready to serve.
After separating the carapace from the crab's body, it is important to discard the gills, guts and the gizzard completely, and scrub the crab thoroughly with a small brush, so that the mud and dirt would not get into the sauce, affecting the taste and even the health.